My flickr site

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

1/16/10 - Roxie Weekend

I took Roxie to the vet on Jan 12th because her tummy was so big, they took an x-ray and found she had a lot of fluid in her tummy and chest cavity. Could be congestive heart or cancer in her tummy. They drained the fluid and gave her medicine to try. Several phone calls with Rye, who felt helpless being so far away.  We have tried to get her to eat, but she just is not interested.  
Danielle came home on Thursday and spent the day with her and had her sleep with her that night.  She did lots of cuddling with her and was even able to get her to eat a little.
I decided this would be a 'Roxie Weekend' - whatever she wanted to do. She did a lot of resting and cuddling on the couch. I asked her if she wanted to go for a walk and she did her little dance to say yes. We got slowly out to the end of the driveway and headed down the road. KC stood at the end of the driveway watching us (and wondering why she couldn't go). We got a little ways down the road and all of a sudden, Roxie turned and tugged to go the other way - I heard a shovel and turned around. Mark was at the mailbox shoving it out and Roxie wanted to go back! We turned around and she went back as fast as her little legs could take her! She got up on the bank and waited for Mark to throw snow for her! She was in her glory! She jumped at the snow like she always had and got full of snow berries! Mark went back across to our driveway and then both her and KC chased the snow Mark was throwing with his shovel. I got a shovel and joined in, but my snow didn't go as high or as far, so they pretty much ignored me. It was so fun to see Roxie being her old self again for a while. We knew this may be the last time we see her this active, but it was what she wanted to do!
On Sunday, it was just Roxie and I most of the day. We cuddled on the couch a lot. Then, she went to be bed at the end of the hall, so I cleaned the hall closet. Took everything out and put it back in. She just laid there and watched me. I talked to her the whole time. This was a very special and memorable weekend for us with Roxie!












No comments:

Post a Comment